Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Technically fired

I have a situation that I would like some help with. I work for a local Pastor as an Executive Administrative Assistant. I have been in this position for 6 years now. Approximately 2/3 years ago, he hired another person on as an Operations Pastor. Since she has been here, he has taken everything that I did as an Executive Assistant to him and has given it to her. I am basically a receptionist for his office. He has as yet to tell me that this is what has happened and I haven't asked, Yet he still says that I am his Executive Assistant. She also acts as if she is my supervisor, yet he says he is. This has left me confused, I do not know what my position is or where I fit. I have considered resigning. I feel that if he should want me to resign, he should say so. I am seeking advice as to what any of you would do if you were me. Thanks in advance

Submitted by: wondering

ReplyPosted By
How much do you want this job? Are you likely to be unemployed if you are not employed here or do you have other options? The questions are to preface the following in answer to your situation. (PS I've been there before but not with a church group of people, it was a difficult situation but the economy was in a much better spot) The response is, Ask the Pastor if the Operations Pastor is your boss or is he still your boss? You want to know who to report to and in assigning priority to what work you have to do, you want to know who would come first, the Pastor or the Opeartions Pastor? Also, you might put in a soft word about how the Operations Pastor is trying to be your supervisor and you were just 'wondering' if this is what the Pastor meant to have happen. It can help eliminate some stress for you knowing who really is your boss. I worked in an accounting office and a new accountant came on after I (Office Manager) had been there for 4 years and started asking what were 'we' working on today? I quietly asked if he had a mouse in his pocket (the old expression is "Are you pregnant or do you have a mouse in your pocket? when someone wuld ask what 'we' were doing or what 'we' thought, sort of like those funny nurses do to patients) and that I was way to busy to explain to him what my assignments were for the day. I polietly said that since he did not sign my paycheck he did not get to know what I was working on that day and I suggested he get back to work while the boss was out of the office. I also asked my boss if he wanted the other employee to be going through the bosses desk checking out who had paid how much. Guess the boss didn't know how much the other guy was goofing off while he was out. I feel that whoever signs my paycheck can have me do whatever, in their time frame, but anyone else, take a back seat to the boss. I hope your situation works out for you. Anonymous on 9/11/2009 12:21:19 PM
ask him. Anonymous on 9/11/2009 12:20:33 PM
I recommend you take the below email into his office and share your thoughts with him. You may have addressed it before, but you might need to be a little more direct and pushy in getting solid answers. Tell him you need clarification of your responsibilities and supervisory chain. Good luck! Anonymous on 9/11/2009 12:19:57 PM
Considering the fact that this country is in a HUGE RECESSION, I would highly recommend that you NOT RESIGN. You didn't provide any specifics details that sounded like your position is in jeopardy. I personally would not sweat the small stuff, just be happy you have a gig and you'll able to pay your bills. Brigitte Tapp on 9/9/2009 6:17:41 PM
Dear Wondering: I would suggest a meeting between you, the Pastor and Operations Pastor to determine / discuss actually what is expected of you. It seems to me as though the Pastor does not know what an Operations Pastor's responsibilities should be. To me, operations means behind the scene and not administrative. Also, I wouldn't resign unless they are making it truly unbearable for you. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Charlita Wright on 9/9/2009 12:34:08 PM
Time to have an honest and frank talk with your boss. Make notes prior to the meeting, think about what you've written, sleep on it for a few days, be sure your notes are objective, non-emotional, and explain the facts as you perceive them or as they actually exist. If there is no resolution, you may not want to indicate what you future action may be or you may choose to walk at the end of the conversation... whatever you decide, be sure to have the conversation with your boss, he needs to know what he may not be aware of, that he is not doing right by you, and he needs to understand your value to him and the organization. Executive Assistant exudes that you are a professional and a very good administrator, and that you do whatever it takes to ensure your boss is taken care of beyond expectations. Remember, one of the hardest things for us humans to do is look each other in the eye, communicate, and have that difficult conversation. Hope all turns out for the better. Wrenae on 9/8/2009 8:23:23 PM
Talk to your boss and don't be shy about it. Get to the point and ask him where you stand. Ask questions and get direct answers. Why resign? Ask for a performance evaluation. Priscilla Arreola on 9/8/2009 5:05:15 PM
If I were you I would sit down with him and tell him that your job has gradually changed since the new person joined the office and you don't feel challenged anymore. Ask him what his expectation is for your position and ask to create job descriptions for both positions. Maybe he doesn't realize that giving your tasks away has had such an impact on your job satisfaction. He needs to know that. Good luck. Leslie Ramer on 9/8/2009 11:53:12 AM
If it were me I would make sure my resume was in order. Look at the job market at this point in time and decide if quitting is what I really wanted/could afford to do. Then I would sit down, carefully think about, and draft out what my issues are and set-up a meeting with the Pastor to discuss. I would let him know that I would like more from my position. I would also make sure I clearly understood the hierarchy and that the Pastor communicated this hierarchy to not only me but to the Operations Pastor as well. The Operations Pastor may be under the assumption that you are the Executive Assistant to the office and not just to the Pastor himself. Make sure you communicate that you are more than willing to be a team player you just want to know the pecking order so to speak. After your conversation with the Pastor, if your job responsibilities do not change to more challenging ones then you should begin searching for a new position. BabyBoy525 on 9/8/2009 11:49:38 AM
As a man "of the cloth" I would feel that you could sit with him again and present him with your questions, by listing what you did before, and what you do now. Sometimes we don't see what is really going on. Maybe sit with her and present your abilities and make it look like you want to help her by taking back or on some of her duties. Start looking for something else that you can give your all to. Something will fall to you when you least expect it. Give him another chance to be up front with you or tell you what is really going on. Ellen 9/8/09 Ellen Scatena CPS on 9/8/2009 11:28:51 AM
You should confront the pastor. You are operating on 'ifs' and 'buts'. You cannot continue to speculate what your job is. Simply take Pastor aside and express your concerns. Whatever he tells you is what you deal with. If the Ops Pastor is rude and bossy, let him know that he should not take that tone with you. You and he need to work in concert to suppor the pastor and take care of the runnings of the chruch. Good luck. Christians can have confrontations :-) There is nothing wrong with airing a concern...with a spirit of love. STEADMOND SMITH on 9/8/2009 11:28:22 AM
Well, you've had some conversation with him about organization hierarchy. If he wanted you to "move on," that was his chance to say so. Since he didn't, what is bothering you the most about this situation? Are you bored just being the receptionist? Do you feel that you are not contributing at the level you want? Do you feel that he took those things away from you because you weren't doing a good job? Identify what it is that bothers you about the situation the most. In fact, make a list, ranking each item. Then consider the following: (a) If you don't need the money and feel you can find another job, then start that process. (b) If you need the money and you're just bored, ask the Pastor if there are other projects you can help with to ease the burden on him and/or the Operations Pastor. (c) If you cannot afford to lose the job, you can always just wait it out and see what happens. And, not to mention the obvious, but since you work for a man of faith, why not call upon your own faith and ask for guidance and wisdom about this situation? ~Cindy Cindy Brock on 9/4/2009 1:23:35 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread