Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Human Resources Question

I would like to know how to get experience in the human resources field, after graduation from college with a Bachelors degree if every place you apply requests experience. Once a student graduates high school, goes to college, receives a degree but has no work experience, how do they acquire a job. Most jobs want experience and a degree but how is that obtained?

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
Temp agencies are wonderful for providing opportunities to gain experience AND to get a foot in the door at prospective companies. In a perfect world on 3/24/2009 12:32:43 PM
One way is to investigate the college you graduated from or your local community college with their career services department to get into an intern program, or their job referral program An intern program will get you in the door of a company as well as on the job training, if you are a good match you have first dibs on the job. Pay may be low or none at all but interns are used in big projects with deadlines and proves you can do the work. Anonymous on 1/14/2009 6:34:11 AM
Is your degree in Human Resources? It is indeed very difficult to break into a field right out of college as many businesses desire some experience. If your degree requirements did not require some "practicum" experience your contacts may be limited. Although I know that you are probably looking for a steady income as well, volunteering can help open some doors. I work in a large healthcare organization which has a very active volunteer department. Volunteers are placed in many departments in the health system. Most Human Resources departments would welcome volunteers. I am not suggesting that you work 40 hours as a volunteer, but maybe one day a week as you conduct your job search. In what state do you live? Anonymous on 1/14/2009 6:33:19 AM
I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, however, many colleges and universities offer Human Resource certificate programs through their continuing education or extended education divisions/colleges. The College of Extended Studies at San Diego State University has an excellent "Professional Certificate in Human Resource Management" - www.neverstoplearning.net. Good luck! Sue Powers on 1/13/2009 3:33:54 PM
Another avenue is to join an HR association (SHRM for example) that provides networking opportunities. It will be money well paid. AlVerta Harty on 1/13/2009 1:12:51 PM
Our colleagues have offered you a lot of wonderful advice for how to get started and work your way into your chosen profession. One other suggestion to consider is to volunteer. Many organizations need help recruiting, placing, and managing volunteer talent. If you are finding the job market too competitive today, you can always build experience (and valuable networking while making a positive contribution) by being part of a volunteer group. One way to get linked up is through volunteermatch.org. Don't get discouraged, get creative! Best of luck. Jenean Starwalt on 1/13/2009 1:07:36 PM
My first thought is DON'T GIVE UP. Even if the job ad says experience required, apply anyway. I am sure there are things in your background that count as experience in HR. Another idea is to work with a headhunter or agency that does not charge you (that receives their commission from the company requesting people). I have had success with both methods. Like others have said - if you haven't already taken courses in HR - enroll now! There are online courses that you can complete while you work. Jeanette Bright on 1/13/2009 12:46:58 PM
I trust you have taken some HR classes in college, yes? That is a tremendous help! If you are in school and you haven't taken any yet, don't waste anymore time! Interships are extremely helpful, also. I recommend that EVERY college student have an internship (and get letters of recommendation also). If you are out of school and you are looking for an HR job (or any job in this economy), use a local staffing agency. A Miami temp agency launched my admin career. Take any HR position at any company you are offered by the agency...no matter how humble do not turn it down! It's about building experience, not stroking your ego! Payroll assistant? Take it! Receptionist? Take it! As soon as you are placed in a HR associate position, drop bugs in your manager's ear making it known to him that you want to persue a career in HR. Work hard, work late, never BE late and never complain! Take on as much work as you can and innovate and streamline current office processes! Once you are in solidly with the company, go back to school and get your HR certs. Many times, your employer will PAY for it. Good luck. :-) STEADMOND SMITH on 1/13/2009 12:32:40 PM
If this is your dream, you'll achieve that dream. You may have to enter through a different door, but you'll get there. You may have to start out at the bottom, but do it. You could try employment agencies, apply to large organizations, and non-profit organizations, whether they have an opening or not. Write letters and tailor your resume each time to the organization and job for which you would like to be considered. Some people think a "canned" resume will do it, but it doesn't catch anyone's eye. Stress what you can do for them, rather than what you think they can do for you and your career. Don't take short cuts - like mass mailings/emails - be personal and focused. Hang in there, don't stop, don't get discouraged, keep trying. Linda Palmer on 1/13/2009 12:27:11 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread