Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Administrative Team Meetings

I work in a department with four other assistants. We support different teams within the department. As a result of my suggestion, last year we started having monthly meetings for the admin team and later through consensus agreed to have these meetings on a quarterly basis. These meetings worked really well because it brought us together to communicate with each and to address any issues or concerns. We have had one meeting this year which I hosted for the admin team. We have rotated the responsibility for each assistant to host the meeting i.e. requesting agenda topics, agenda preparation, room reservation, sending electronic invite and facilitating. My concern is that this quarter, we do not have any agenda topics. It was suggested that we cancel the meeting. I am interested in hearing ideas from other admins who have similar team meetings for admin staff when there are no specific agenda topics. My concern is, if we start canceling our quarterly meetings, then these meetings may eventually fall by the way side. Any suggestions/ideas will be appreciated.

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
We have approximately 15 admins in our company and we meet bi-monthly to network and address training issues, company policies, etc. When there is not a specific issue to address, we invite directors from different departments/divisions in the company to come and share what they do. This gives everyone a better understanding of how the company operates. We are an employee-owned company so we definitely see a lot of value in providing this type of information that shows how each area of the company impacts the others. Anonymous on 6/28/2011 7:36:07 AM
It is always a great idea to meet with your peers. When I had those meetings and there were no agenda topics, we took the opportunity for one of us to share what we do and do some quick cross training by supplying information on certain responsibilities where there may be changes the others are not aware of. This is always a good idea to keep others in the loop when they help to cover your desk while you are out. We took turns when the opportunity arose. Hope that helps. TinkS on 2/4/2010 2:42:58 PM
Hi -- I agree with the other responses -- Do NOT cancel the meeting. By cancelling the meeting, you are suggesting that it is not important that you meet. We have found that even if we do not have any specific agenda topics, there are always a multitude of items that come up....process discussions (clarification, how to make better, etc), policy discussions, professional development is always a good topic...perhaps someone could put together a brief presentation on a current event in your industry or a new technique for a software program (Word, Powerpoint, etc.). Denise Sciulli on 8/6/2009 6:55:37 AM
I agree that there is a chance that the meetings will eventually fall by the wayside if not held on a regular basis as planned. How about an agenda item such as Project Discussion. Each admin can provide an update on the project(s) they are currently working on, what types of deadlines they are facing, etc. Others could share tips that they've found helpful when faced with a similar project. rwalton on 7/31/2009 11:32:49 AM
Brigette, thanks for your suggestions. Anonymous on 7/30/2009 8:49:31 AM
Hello Shea, There are several discussion topics for your administrative meetings: Professional Development/Training Administrative Handbook/Manual Latest software/technology Employee Appreciation Day Annual Holiday Party or Staff/Family Picnic, etc. I hope this helps--Good Luck Brigitte Tapp Brigitte Tapp on 7/28/2009 9:27:48 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread