Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Reply vs. Reply All

Does anyone have a best practice they can share on how to address others on when to use "Reply" vs. "Reply All"? Lately, we have become inundated with team / chapter members clicking on "reply all" for everything. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
Common sense! Whoops, I forgot everyone with whom we work does not have this! Anonymous on 2/7/2012 1:11:24 PM
"Reply" and "Reply All" is an education issue. Most people who use it incorrectly don't know the difference and would benefit from some simple instruction. We have had this issue in my workplace and to help others conquer the use of "reply" and "reply all" we have communicated that through our "I.S. Tip of the Day" section on our electronic news letter which goes to each person on our computer network. If you don't have an electronic news letter or communication this might be a good time to initiate one. Our news letter is short, sweet and to the point. It comes out each Monday with information posted for each day that week to include things like meetings scheduled that day, benefit information, fun facts which can be about the organization or the world, awards presentations, and in our faith-based organization a prayer each day. The news letter is sent electronically each day of the week with any updates added and the past day deleted. Anonymous on 3/5/2010 8:10:52 AM
I have not seen a formally policy on the the subject however I have composed several memos to address the issue. While individuals have preferred methods of expressing instructions, I have provided a basic draft that is simple but direct. Please do not "RELY ALL" to e-mails. Replying to all risks circulation of sensitive information and is a drain on company resources. Reply all should only be used when information is of a general nature and is relevant to prompting a informed work force. Additional information can be added to address a specific instance where a 'replay all' response created a issues. Anonymous on 3/5/2010 8:09:16 AM
One suggestion is to give your audience instructions at the end of your email. For example, if you are looking for responses and don't want to innudate the group with the reples, you could request at the end of your email something like "please reply directly to me with your response." You could even be so direct as to say "Please do not use "reply all" with your response. Or "no reply is necessary." I hope those ideas are helpful! Ann Yaggie on 3/5/2010 6:38:19 AM
Don't let common sense lose the battle to political correctness. If your response is intended for only one or several specific individuals, use reply. Not everyone needs to know what you are saying. If your response is intended for broadcast to a group of people (for instance everyone in the original email distribution list are members of a committee), then use reply all. In this case, you want everyone to hear you. People use reply all because a) they don't know the difference between it and reply (yes, really even in this day and age), or b) they don't want to stand out in the discussion (or maybe they do, depending on the tone and content of the message). The sender is perfectly happy rolling along with the herd, or trying to steer it. Anonymous on 3/5/2010 6:09:26 AM
Blind copy all. In the To: place your name and those that are involved with your subject only. This will help with those reply all going to only those involved with your subject. SGunderson on 3/4/2010 2:40:00 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread