Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Outlook 2010 - Recurrence Meetings

I recently set up meetings for my boss for one on one's with her direct reports, there are 5 of them. When setting them up I used the "New Meeting Request" and set them up as a recurrence meeting, one being every Monday at 9 or another every Tuesday at 2, etc. I had no problem setting them up, however, now when something comes up and I need to reschedule one of the meetings I open up the occurence and see there is no button to update the meeting. So if I change the meeting to another day or time it only changes it on my calendar. I then have to go into my boss's calendar and change it on her calendar and then ask the admin to the person my boss is meeting with to change their meeting. I have done recurrence meetings before and never had this problem, however, I upgraded to Outlook 2010 from Outlook 2003 in the past year and wondering if because I have 2010 and my boss and others have 2007 if that would make a difference. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Submitted by: Lori E

ReplyPosted By
My response is there are problems with using the "recurring meeting" option in Outlook. If your boss insists that he/she wants recurring meetings and you need to reschedule any of them, delete the entire series and resend a new recurring meeting invite. Anonymous on 4/17/2012 10:45:48 AM
Outlook 2007 has a known issue with reoccurring meeting appointments. The problem is so bad that I've stopped using that function. While I too just recently changed to Outlook 2010, I have no faith that Microsoft has fixed the known issue with reoccurring meetings. Problems I experienced included reoccurring meeting appointments disappearing from calendars with no pattern - could disappear from my calendar (tough to make changes when your the meeting originator, or the appointment could disappear from meeting participant calendars (disappear from some, but not all or from all). We met with a Microsoft representative who explained how Outlook handles reoccurring meetings - when you schedule a reoccurring meeting, Outlook considered it a string. When you make a change to the string, Outlook creates a branch. If you make many changes to the string, the branches become "tangled" and Outlook becomes confused, so it can just remove the string. My recommendation to you is to STOP using reoccurring meeting appointments. Good Luck! Susan Robertshaw on 4/13/2012 1:37:55 PM
I am using the latest Outlook and I haven't had this problem, however, everyone I am inviting to the meetings I set up is using the same version as me. When I open up just that one occurence and make the change, then I am able to update just that meeting only. If you are setting them up from your boss's calendar, then you should be updating them from there as well. I am sure you have already done this, but if you haven't try looking on Microsoft's website for a help for this type of problem. Andrea Ryba on 4/13/2012 1:03:45 PM
I set the meetings on my calendar and sent invites out to my boss and her direct report, I also go into my calendar to send the update, however I don?t have the update button. I talked to my boss about upgrading to Outlook 2010 but she gets nervous every time any of the software she uses gets upgraded because something either happens or she has a hard time with the new options, etc. I have talked to my IT department and they are trying to figure out why this is happening. They told me that it shouldn?t matter that my boss and I have different versions of Outlook, but maybe I'll talk her into upgrading. In the meantime I'm waiting on what IT has to say. Lori E on 4/13/2012 12:34:09 PM
I do not have any problems changing appointments with different versions of Outlook. You must, however, make any changes from the originator of the appointment. If you initiated the appointments from your calendar, you may make changes from there. If you initiated the appointments from your boss?s calendar, you must make the changes from that calendar. Anonymous on 4/13/2012 11:58:08 AM
We have several individuals in our institution with varying versions of MS Outlook. One would think that the problems would be minimal; however, that is not the case. You should set the meetings up from your boss' calendar and make the updates from your boss' calendar. This should help minimize the issues. If not, you may want to speak with your IS department and notify them of the problems you are experiencing. We have had to do the same thing. My boss and I still have trouble every now and then, but not nearly as many as we used to. Hope this is helpful! Wanetta Prelow on 4/13/2012 10:49:48 AM
Lori, Are you setting the meetings from your calendar or your boss? I use Outlook 2010 to set up 1:1 meetings for one of the Directors that I am proxy to. If you are proxy to your boss calendar, you should not have this problem regardless if he/she is using Outlook 2007. It would help tremendously if you were in sync with each other; but it should not matter. You should be able to update those meetings for everyone involved. If you change an occurrence of the series of meeting, there should be a send update button to click. If you are not seeing it, you should contact your IT person. Hope this helps. Gloria Holmes on 4/13/2012 10:44:39 AM
Yes, all people you are sending invites to need to be on the same Outlook. We've also experienced issues when others are on 2007 and not 2010 when they receive the invites via their Blackberry's. Anonymous on 4/13/2012 10:42:01 AM
Yes. For it to work properly, all of you need to be running the same version of Outlook. In our setting, we keep all of the management team and AA's on the same versions, never updating one without updating them all. This alleviates any problems. Anonymous on 4/13/2012 10:35:16 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread