Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Minute Taking

Does anyone have any ideas how I can take minutes at a meeting that is very important and I have not taking any minutes for a really long time. Also any forms that you would like to share would be great. Thank you

Submitted by: Anonymous

ReplyPosted By
My way of taking minutes of meeting is that I bring with me a template of my minutes, take down notes and a recorder as a back up incase I missed some points. Write your minutes in a very brief and concise report. Marieta Santiago on 5/29/2013 3:50:37 AM
All the prior suggestions are quite good. I might add that if you cannot record, then having a logistical approach is quite helpful. Use your agenda as your template, and make brief note on the following points: Topic Covered & presentation speaker Action Items - assigned to, due date Questions requiring answers - assigned to Key Facts Items tabled for future discussion Don't waste time taking notes if they are already printed - request copies of presentation materials and handouts - you can incorporate relevant information from them following the meeting. Best of luck. Jenean Starwalt on 4/11/2013 2:16:11 PM
I noticed this is posted in the Government Admin thread, so regarding recording devices, audio recordings may be considered public records and will have to be handled accordingly. Anonymous on 4/11/2013 10:42:25 AM
I agree with everyone re: voice recording. ONENOTE is a great tool. If you have it and an Ipad or Tablet you will be SET! there is a great tutorial on using it. you can type at the same time you are recording the meeting and it will actually take you to the spot in the recording where you were typing. So, if someone is talking and you need to make a note of "who" it was because voices sound alike - you can make type that. Then, as everyone has suggested, review notes, know expectations, go back and summarize it in the format as they wanted the final to look. Belinda Beaubouef on 4/11/2013 9:32:34 AM
Make yourself a template (on paper or your laptop if you will be using it) of each agenda item and make a column for "discussion" and one for "action items." It will help you stay organized. As soon as possible after the meeting, sit down with the person who initiated the meeting to review the notes you took - he or she can advise you as to whether or not you correctly recorded the key points. If your organization has a preferred format for the minutes, have it ready to transfer your notes to. You should find out before the meeting what the expectation will be for how much detail you need to include. For some meetings "less is more." Phrase such as "robust discussion took place" will satisfy - rather than recording all of the comments everyone makes. Good Luck! Kathy Morgan on 4/11/2013 8:40:59 AM
I agree that having a recording device would probably be the best way. You should clarify with your boss how much detail he/she would like to have. Is it just tracking action items or do you need to track each discussion? I've also found having a mini laptop to "record" minutes as I type much faster than I write. It'll be a little bit unorganized but you can clean it up aftwerward. Angela Wiesmore on 4/11/2013 8:40:26 AM
I take minutes of our board meetings. First off, if you can record the meeting, that will help you in creating your minutes. Our minutes are mostly motions and action items. Details of discussions are not needed in the minutes, only the outcomes. The beginning and end time of the meeting and names of participants should be in the minutes. I hope I have helped you and that I interpreted your email correctly. anonymous on 4/11/2013 8:33:21 AM
I would suggest recording on microcassette and transcribe. Device is small and this way you don't miss anything important, especially if there will be several people speaking. Elizabeth Sullivan on 4/11/2013 8:31:58 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread