Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Transitioning to Biotech/Pharmaceutical Industry

I'm an experienced EA preparing to interview for a position within a biotech company. They've asked for biotech or pharmaceutical experience. In the past, when I've worked for an unfamiliar industry, I've done research to ramp up and get acclimated. Can anyone help provide more specific information on what I can demonstrate for working well in this industry and with scientists?

Submitted by: Sondra

ReplyPosted By
Rita and Enid, thank you very much! Your responses are both so strong and on target with how I would naturally and authentically represent myself. You really helped. Thanks again for posting. Sondra on 11/26/2013 4:06:34 PM
When applying in an unfamiliar industry ramping up the knowledge base is good. When asked about not having experience in the industry {no matter what the industry} this how I respond: "One of the great items about being an EA is my skill set moves across different industries. Because I am a quick start and a quick learner getting up to speed has not presented itself to be issue in the past. I've always been able to learn an industry's acronyms and language specific verbiage while hitting the ground running." Hope this answer will assist you and you nail the position. Rita Rossi on 11/25/2013 8:35:40 PM
I worked for a biotech/pharma company for 10 years. When I interviewed for the job, the first interview was with the EA for the CEO. She asked if I had any experience in their industry and I said "no". I, in turn, asked her if she had any experience in the industry when she was hired. She had to reply "no" also. I then told her that for each position I had held in the past (all different industries), the same was true, BUT I was a quick learner. She liked my response. What you don't know, you will learn. It's basically the terminology that you have to become familiar with. Hope you get the job! Enid on 11/25/2013 4:47:43 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread