Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Need Help With Re-entering The AA Field

Hello. From 1983 to 2014 I worked in the healthcare field working my way up from a Medical Records Clerk to an Executive Assistant. In 2014 my position was eliminated. This was the first time I was unemployed. I took some time off to spend with family and picked up a part time position at a local retail store. I'm now trying to get back into my field of expertise and having a difficult time finding a good paying Administrative Assistant position. I am taking a class through www.ed2go to brush up on the Administrative Assistant Applications. Does anyone have any advice for me on starting back up and being the polished assistant that companies are looking for? Thank you Carolyn

Submitted by: Carolyn Santora

ReplyPosted By
Hi Ladies! I just started a new job (after months of searching) and have found one dilemma...no one in my office uses Outlook for scheduling meetings or noting when they will be out of the office. Its all tracked on paper! Yikes! Any suggestions to help them switch over? Carolyn Santora on 4/11/2017 8:09:47 AM
Found out I can't post my resume to this area. Carolyn Santora on 3/7/2017 10:45:53 AM
Hi Ladies, I'm feeling very frustrated with the job hunt. The calls I am receiving are for sales position, which I am not interested in. I completed the Administrative Assistant Application course through www.ed2go.com and updated my resume. If possible, can someone look at my resume and tell me what I'm missing? I'd appreciate it. Carolyn Santora on 3/7/2017 10:08:49 AM
Thanks Ladies! The information you provided is very helpful. Carolyn Carolyn Santora on 2/13/2017 10:25:11 AM
You don?t appear to have been out of the workforce for very long. Take advantage of on-line applications. That is happening at most employers now. Look at their job boards and make application. Also look into the employment agencies, because often times employers will ?test drive? executive level secretaries in that fashion. Temp jobs can become permanent jobs this way. With your command of medical terminology you should be able to find something suitable. Debbie on 2/3/2017 1:08:29 PM
I agree, with 31 years of professional experience you should be in a good position to land almost any position through a temp agency or an employment agency. This may depend on where you live as the smaller towns may not have employment agencies. Robert Half is an agency you could google as I believe they are a national company and should have an office near by. Also, I would not market myself as an administrative assistant. If you have worked as an executive assistant that would be how I would represent myself and the type of job to look for. The difference in pay will be about $10,000 - $20,000 depending on the field. The only thing I might do to prepare for a new job would be to update my skills on the latest Microsoft office suite. Knowledge of Office 365 and cloud based computing will be very helpful and allow the interviewers to see that you are as versatile in technology as the younger workers who don't have your experience. Karen Zacca on 2/1/2017 12:41:54 PM
I would suggest applying for and working through a Temporary Agency. It allows you to have a trial run at companies to see if that industry is something that you would be interested. It gets you working back in the job market that you desire. Also, consider applying to be a Substitute Admin. Assistant in your local school district. Best of Luck to you - Laura Laura Heidenreich on 2/1/2017 11:02:05 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread