Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Bored At New Job

Hi Everyone, I was fortunate enough to start a new job as Assistant to the President, VP of Administration and Director of Medical Missions. However, no one is giving me anything to do. I've been here 5 weeks now and have asked repeatedly (to everyone) if they need me to do anything. I discovered they changed the job description and have 3 other people doing parts of my job. All I do is answer the phone and use the security system to let people into our building. I don't know what to do. I can't stand to sit around the do nothing. Any suggestions?

Submitted by: Carolyn Santora

ReplyPosted By
Update: Still bored at my job. I spoke with the three people that split up my responsibilities prior to my hire. What they do is full time work and they cover each other if one of them is out of the office. I have been given research projects by our new COO and Director, but it's not enough to keep me buy. I'm coming to the realization that I was only hired to answer the phones and I'm in charge of security. I do put together the foundations board packets and take meeting minutes, but that is only 4 times a year. At my age (56) do I look for a more fulfilling job or stick it out until I retire? All suggestions welcomed! :) Carolyn Santora on 9/12/2017 7:18:59 AM
Carolyn, I was in a situation that I am so organized I can do my job in less time and was very bored. Some suggestions: I was allowed to take advantage of the AEAP classes like Excel and do them on company time. I was considered the Excel guru and could teach others some tricks. I also signed up for Dictionary.com word of the day since my vocabulary needed improvement. Possibly learning a new language online could help your company down the road. Occasionally I ask my boss for any projects I can help him with since my work is caught up. Good luck. Anonymous on 5/15/2017 6:26:40 AM
Thanks Julie, this is helpful. Carolyn Santora on 5/12/2017 10:16:25 AM
You say you have 3 other people doing parts of your job. Can you make a time to review tasks with each of these 3 other people? Sit down with each of them; or if you can't leave your desk, have each come take a few moments with you at your desk to review their daily tasks. It could be they didn't want your tasks prior to you coming on board and do not know how to return them to your position tackfully. If you start to see in your individual meetings that you can help them by taking some of those duties back, they may be very thankful (and you will be getting back those things you were hoping to do in the first place). The good part of this is if any one of you is ever ill or has to be gone for a bit, you all will have a back up. Take your moments of quiet and use them to learn as much as you can about the mechanics of everyones job. Maybe there are some doubling efforts and maybe some have some good ideas of what they need that could help in the overall mission of your office. Good Luck. Julie Minegar Stasi on 5/12/2017 7:20:02 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread