Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Hired for the Wrong Reasons

Has anyone ever been hired under false pretenses? My job title is Administrative Assistant to the President, however, all management wants me to do is answer the phones and monitor security. I have over 35+ years of experience in the field and have never held a position that was so under-utilized. The company conducted performance reviews back in November and I'm the only one who has not had a review. I spoke with my direct report, Vice President of Administration and Development, and she stated that "we need to change your job description". Any comments? Suggestions? I really don't want to look for another job since I've only been here 9 months.

Submitted by: Carolyn Santora

ReplyPosted By
Thanks Daisy! This is really helpful. I'm going to check in with my VP today to see what the status is of my revised job description and go from there. It's just really frustrating. I clean the storage area and kitchen, stock the restrooms, water plants and order office supplies. I am reviewing some of my books from college to refresh my brain....I feel brain dead at this point. Carolyn Santora on 1/29/2018 7:32:53 AM
Happened to me. The advertisement was to for an assistant to top level City government officials, and I ended up having to report to the City Manager's Secretary. It was the elected vs City staff, and I fell into the middle. It was the worst year of my life because I had over 20+ years more experience than her, and she didn't even know the basics. During my one-year probation period (ugh) I proved my worth, and got a promotion out of there and am very happy now with another 2 promotions. I am so glad I just kept my head down, worked hard, and got noticed. My advice? Do the same, but meanwhile work on suggestions to redo the job description. If it cannot include more responsibility, keep searching for a position that does. I always say if you can't accept things, and cannot change things, then it's time to move on. Daisy on 1/26/2018 3:19:41 PM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread