Return to ForumsReply to Thread
Paternity Leave

Where can I I find information on paternity leave for state of California? How long can the employee take paid paternity leave and how much should they be compensated during their leave? Leyina Chen

Submitted by: Leyina Chen


ReplyPosted By
After searching online I finally came across the web page that I think answers your questions: I hope this helps! AEAP on 3/25/2008 1:48:21 PM
Google: paternity leave AEAP on 3/6/2008 6:27:18 AM
The link to this website answers all the questions on Paternity Leave. I think you will find this very helpful. AEAP on 3/6/2008 6:26:22 AM
I'm not familiar with "paternity leave." Is that the same as the baby bonding - CFRA (California Family Rights Act)? If so, a new parent (mother or father) can take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave in a 12-month period to bond with their new child (from birth or adoption). There are conditions that have to be met for an employee to qualify for this leave such as the employee having more than 12 months of service and having worked at least 1,250 hours during the previous 12-month period. It is typically unpaid leave unless the employee used their vacation time to be paid. The CFRA leave only provides job protection, not payment. There is also FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) that also provides 12 weeks of unpaid leave in a 12-month period for a mother that has given birth. This is also just job protection, not payment. I hope this helps. Your HR representative should have the information about the state and federal laws around this. Good luck. AEAP on 3/6/2008 6:25:56 AM
Contact your Human Resources Department, they should have the information your seeking. AEAP on 3/6/2008 6:25:29 AM
Hi, After searching online I finally came across the web page that I think answers your questions: I hope this helps! Eunice Enid on 3/5/2008 1:28:30 PM
Google Family Law Act for the State of California and it will give everything you need. Antoinette Rincon on 3/5/2008 10:15:50 AM
from the website: What is California's Paid Family Leave Program? Workers who participate in the State Disability Insurance (SDI) Program are entitled to a maximum of six weeks of partial pay each year while taking time off from work to: Bond with a newborn baby, adopted or foster child (both parents) Care for a seriously ill parent, child, spouse or registered domestic partner Most workers will receive approximately 55% of their pre-taxed weekly wage, up to a maximum of $882, while on leave. The Paid Family Leave Program is administered by the State of California Employment Development Department (EDD) a state agency, not the employer. Important Numbers General Questions about Paid Family Leave Claims Call the Employment Development Department Workers Experiencing Difficulty Taking Leave & Employment-Related Questions Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Center: 800-880-8047 (Español & English) Equal Rights Advocates: 800-839-4372 (Español & English) Asian Law Caucus: 415-896-1701 (Chinese) Information on Workshops and Paid Family Leave Materials Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Center: 415-864-8848 Information on Workshops for Unions Labor Project for Working Families: 510-643-7088 DMAdmin on 3/5/2008 10:08:51 AM
This would fall under Federal Family Medical Leave Act allows up to 12 weeks of unpaid time for paternity leave. The state of California may have something in addition. Phyl Brown on 3/5/2008 9:16:31 AM
You need to visit the Dept of Labor Website - this will give you the info you need. You can google California Dept of Labor to go specifically to your state information. Or visit the links below Ebony Webb-Moxon on 3/5/2008 9:11:26 AM
Start with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). I believe that this allows you to take up to a year (unpaid) and your job has to hold your position. Anoteher option is short term disability insurance but you would have needed to be apart of this prior to the birth/adoption of the child. Hope this helps. Dana Dana Murray-Tonks on 3/4/2008 8:58:52 AM

Return to ForumsReply to Thread